Poker Coverage:

There Was A 110-Year-Old Online Gambler In New Jersey, Report Says

Research Also Says A 'High Roller' Bet $20.4M Online In 2015


Who said online gambling was for millennials?

According to an internet betting study out of Rutgers University posted online by New Jersey casino regulators late last month, there was a 110-year-old who gambled on at least one of the state’s regulated online casinos in 2015. The oldest online gambler the previous year was 98.

People who live past 110, known as supercentarians, are very rare in the United States. It is said that about 1 in 1,000 people who live to be 100 make it to their 110th birthday.

New Jersey’s online casinos launched in late 2013, so 2015 was the second full year for the state’s nascent industry, and it provided a lot of data for researchers and regulators.

Despite a supercentarian in the mix, the online gaming demographic is trending younger. Just four percent of New Jersey online gamblers were 65 or older in 2015. More than a third of online gamblers were in the 25-34 age bracket. The average age of a New Jersey online gambler in 2015 was just over 38, down from close to 39 years in 2014.

The research, which comes from the school’s Center for Gambling Studies, also provided information on the top 10 percent of online gamblers, dubbed the “high rollers.” They wagered an average of $521,776 in 2015, with one player wagering $20.4 million.

There were more than $2.7 billion worth of bets on New Jersey’s sites in 2015, according to the report. Operators collected nearly $150 million from those bets in the form of revenue, per state data. The top 10 percent accounted for about 55 percent of the $2.7 billion in bets.

The amount wagered doesn’t mean losses. It’s unknown how much the gambler who bet $20.4 million in 2015 lost or even won, though the latter scenario is less likely. In 2014, there was a player who bet a whopping $78.7 million. It’s unclear if it’s the same gambler.

The top 10 percent placed an average of 183,353 bets in 2015, or 502 per day, in contrast to the other 90 percent of gamblers who placed about 17 bets per day, the report said. The top 10 percent averaged 206 betting days in 2015, while the average customer gambled just 18 days.

More than 70 percent of the top 10 percent played house-banked online casino games exclusively. New Jersey online casinos also offer peer-to-peer poker. The average age of the top 10 percent was close to 50. The oldest high roller was almost 90 years of age.

Women make up the majority of New Jersey online high rollers, 51.8 percent female to 48.2 percent male, according to the report. Men outnumbered women 2.5 to 1 across the entire population of New Jersey internet casino players.



almost 5 years ago

"Women make up the majority of New Jersey online high rollers, 51.8 percent female to 48.2 percent male" -- Please investigate this. That's very surprising!

Robert Jen (developer of THETA Poker Pro for iPhone et al.)