Poker Coverage: Poker Legislation Poker Tournaments U.S. Poker Markets Sports Betting

NBC National Heads-Up Poker Championship Not Running In 2014

Though, Show's Producer Confident About 2015 And Beyond

Print-icon
 

The NBC National Heads-Up Poker Championship will not run this year. This despite last year’s final between Phil Hellmuth and Mike Matusow being pretty epic.

The show’s producer, Mori Eskandani, told Card Player on Friday that it was the “network’s decision” for “so many different reasons.” The event was broadcast on NBC Sports last year, instead of the main network like it had been in the past. The event lost steam after Black Friday in April 2011, when the major offshore poker sites — Full Tilt Poker, PokerStars and Absolute Poker — shut down their U.S.-facing operations. The tournament didn’t run in 2012.

The $20,000 buy-in is an invitational and features 64 players. Some of the game’s best, as well as celebrities who like to dabble in poker, have played over the years.

Despite the lack of a running this year, Eskandani is very excited for the tournament’s future — 2015 and beyond. He said that “some really exciting news” about the NBC National Heads-Up Poker Championship is expected to be announced in March. He added that “negotiations are ongoing”, but that the tournament is in a “pretty good spot.”

Check out the final episode of last year’s tournament.

 
 
 
 

Comments

maxima191
over 6 years ago

This tourney has been a joke for a while-If it doesn't return in 2015 no harm no foul.

 
Reply