Poker Coverage: Poker Legislation Poker Tournaments U.S. Poker Markets

Thumb_kk

Why They Call Me an 'Ultimate Grinder'

by Kristen Bicknell |  Published: Nov 01, '12

Print-icon
 
Wow.  November already?!

The Year So Far 
This has been a bit of a strange year of poker for me.  I can't say I'm overly satisfied with the way things have gone.  I thought by earning less than a million vpps, I would be end up having a ton of free time to work on my game a lot, cook amazing meals everyday, workout, and so on. Sadly, it just has not happened that way!  In fact out of those things, the only thing I have really been doing is working out more.

When I happen to get really productive, I often wonder why I seem to waste so much time some days.  It makes me think of the saying "If you want something done, ask a busy person".  It is just so true!  Although I have recovered a bit from being burnt out from poker, I haven't been very productive overall which makes me unhappy.  I worked really hard this past week to earn the vpps I needed to maintain SNE this month.  I've played something around 100,000 hands just in the last 8 days, and though it is pretty exhausting, I have got back into my grinding rhythm, and it feels great to be productive.  I have also learned this past week, how much time I was wasting earlier in the month and in September.  The problem I seem to have is that I'm not good at performing a ton of different tasks throughout the day.  Adam has been a huge help this past week, picking up my slack, and with less 'chores' I can more easily focus on poker and I find I usually play better, too.

Previously, I was thinking of just earning 50k vpp a month I needed to keep SNE for 2013, but if I did that for November and December, I'd end the year at 555,000 vpp.  If I push myself to hit 600,000 instead, I'll be earning an additional $8,000 in rakeback, and hopefully more from table winnings. So, I have decided I'm going to go for it!

The Rest of 2012
My plan to finish off the year:

November: 80,000 vpps / average of 15k hands a day (28 days of playing)

December: 65,000 vpps / average of 15k hands a day (21 days of playing)

So, I'm going to try and keep life simple and do my best to maintain a routine. (I'm not good at this)!  I have 3 fitness classes I really like and will go to each week at the same time.  One of them is a Yin Yoga class, one of them an intense spinning class, and the other a spinning class that has a bit of yoga at the end.  I wish I could do a class everyday, but this is probably more realistic.

Getting Through the Grind 

Coffee!  I mostly have not been drinking coffee since last winter, but my coffee addiction is back in full force.  I have found this month that it actually helped me play alot better, too. I do try and limit myself to one cup or one shot of espresso a day. I'll try and save my 'tolerance' for the days I really need it, and go for green tea instead.



Yoga/Stretching. Aside from going to the studio for yoga classes, every 5k hands I play (I will play 3 sets of 5k hands each day), I will do a short little stretching/yoga/exercise routine.



Healthy Food & Supplements.  I really can't get sick over the next couple months, so I'm going to totally eat with a food for fuel mentality. Although, I am an emotional eater. Sometimes I bribe myself to play my sessions and then I get to eat something 'bad' as a reward. So, I will eat well 90%, and the other 10% will be cupcakes, pizza, and chocolate, haha!

I also have a few supplements I take everyday.  A multi-vitamin, Vitamin D, probiotics, and the one I think effects my mind the most, a vitamin b complex, as pictured above.  I have been taking this regularly for the last couple weeks after not taking it for a while, and really notice a difference. I have much more energy and focus.  I have lots of other vitamins/supplements to ward of sickness and keep my immune system strong as needed- (yes I am a crazy person!)

And, the most important thing...



Self Discipline. This is a tough one, but I believe one of the most important things to being successful (in anything!).


So, I'm motivated and determined to end the year off on a productive note and defend my title as an 'Ultimate Grinder'.

Kristen “krissyb24” Bicknell, is a professional poker player, known for achieving Supernova Elite Status on PokerStars. In 2013, she won the ladies event at the World Series of Poker, earning her first career bracelet. Kristen is also a part of the Ultimate Grinders team.

 
Any views or opinions expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the ownership or management of CardPlayer.com.
 

Comments

Sam Rothstein
6 years ago

amen sister bicknell

 
Reply
 

Venable
6 years ago

Whats your username at pokerstars? i've searched Krissyb24 several times but it always says not found.

 
Reply