After three days of play, the Borgata Winter Poker Open has finally reached the final 27 players, a duration unheard of for a $3,000 buy-in event.
Day 3 brought the remaining 172 players back to battle not only to the final three tables, but to the money, as well, which was set to pay out 100 places. The money bubble burst a few hours into play, leaving a few notables with a profit to take home. Among the players to make the money were Jason Young (81st), Michael Santoro (79th), Al Riccobono (76th), Mark "dipthr0ng" Herm (59th), David "dpeters17" Peters (58th), Matt Brady (54th), Esther Taylor (44th), "Captain" Tom Franklin (43rd), Gordon Eng (38th), Steven Levy (35th), and Frankie Flowers (29th).
Coming into the day as the chip leader, Frankie Flowers was unable to hold on and was eliminated just before the day ended. Flowers got the last of his chips in with Q-J only to see it run into Victor Johnson's pocket aces. Flowers, who was looking strong for the more than $600,000 first-place prize, instead took home $11,594.
After going all of 2008 without a single tournament cash, Bill Edler has started off this year with a strong deep finish in this championship event. Sitting second in chips, anything but a final table will surely be a disappointment.
Here are the chip counts for the remaining 27 players:
- Carl Pion (BRAMPTON, CAN): 4,720,000
- Bill Edler (LAS VEGAS, NV): 3,894,000
- Robert Merulla (NEWYORK, NY): 3,006,000
- Todd Terry (HOBOKEN, NJ): 2,965,000
- Kenneth Smaron (PHILADELPHIA, PA): 2,785,000
- Charles Marchese (SHOREHAM, NY): 2,713,000
- Ory Hen (HOLLYWOOD, FL): 2,437,000
- Shawn Paul Pilot (NORTH HILLS, CA): 2,394,000
- Manelic Minaya (TAMPA, FL): 2,361,000
- George Medrano (GRAPEVINE, TX): 2,045,000
- Stephen Vanauken (MILFORD, PA): 1,915,000
- Robert McLaughlin (WASHINGTON, DC): 1,911,000
- Abul Moborrod (VENTNOR CITY, NJ): 1,825,000
- Kijoon Park (FLUSHING, NY): 1,640,000
- Philip Neiman (FLUSHING, NY): 1,613,000
- Franklin Caldwell (NICHOLASVILLE, KY): 1,474,000
- Steven Weinstein (ANDES, NY): 1,423,000
- Balint Barta (CLIFTON, NJ): 1,282,000
- Michael Contesa (ROCHELLE PARK, NJ): 1,249,000
- David Levy (TAMARAC, FL): 1,213,000
- Charles Hook (PHILADELPHIA, PA): 1,200,000
- Andrew Eastom (FORT WAYNE, IN): 1,142,000
- Paul Spitzberg (TENAFLY, NJ): 1,039,000
- John Myung (VIENNA, VA): 978,000
- Victor Johnson (MIDDLETOWN, NY): 929,000
- Anthony Argila (N BELLMORE, NY): 623,000
- Mirsad Kovaci (BROOKLYN, NY): 394,000