Poker Coverage: Poker Legislation Poker Tournaments Daily Fantasy Sports Poker Stories Podcast U.S. Poker Markets

New $4 Billion Las Vegas Casino Delayed Until 2020

Construction To Resume Later This Year On Resorts World Las Vegas

Print-icon
 

Construction will resume on the upcoming $4 billion Resorts World Las Vegas casino sometime in the third quarter of this year, casino operator Genting said Wednesday.

The casino, the first mega-resort to be built from the ground up on the Strip in a decade, is now scheduled to open sometime in 2020. The project has been delayed multiple times, with the original opening slated for 2016.

Nevada gaming regulators gave the green light to the casino, which will sit on the north end of the Strip, in May of last year. Ground was broken in 2015.

“This is a day that we’ve been waiting for for a very long time,” Gov. Brian Sandoval said at the groundbreaking. Since the Great Recession, Las Vegas has seen some of its casinos completely remodeled. However, the construction of a brand new casino has been elusive.

The site for Resorts World is Boyd Gaming’s unfinished Echelon development, which was abandoned thanks to the 2008 recession. The site once was home to the Stardust casino.

Genting bought the site for $350 million.

According to the Las Vegas Sun, Genting recently tweaked the design for Resorts World to make it more modern. The gaming floor has been slashed to 100,000 square feet.