Poker Coverage: Poker Legislation Poker Business Poker Tournaments

Lotto Winners Blow Up House While Celebrating

Cause Of Blast Linked To Drug Use: Report

Print-icon
 

Two brothers won the lottery for $75,000 and in their drug-fueled celebration managed to accidentally blow up their house, The Wichita Eagle reported.

One of the men went to the hospital with second-degree burns while the other went to jail.

According to The Wichita Eagle:

One of the brothers went to the kitchen to refuel the butane torches they planned to use to light their bongs. He emptied a couple of large cans of butane lighter fluid, leaking butane into the air.

“The butane vapor reached the pilot light in the furnace, and as you might expect, ka-boom,” [Sgt. Bruce Watts of the Wichita Police Department] said.

The victim was wearing a lottery T-shirt during the explosion.

 
 
Tags: Lottery,   Kansas
 
 

Comments

IanSimpson
1 year ago

Thats the gambling gods way of punishing them for making a -EV investment in the lottery.

 
Reply
 

Maximo
1 year ago

If you do your homework, you would find out that this story smacks of being totally wrong, seriously, if you understand gas's, and the concentration needed to create explosions this story makes no sense, and since it seems its the "police" are the ones reporting the story I "know" its wrong, thats all........

 
Reply
 

Baywolfe
1 year ago

Gotta agree. After watching the grief the Mythbusters have to go through to get the proper saturation level for a ka-boom, I'm not buying it.

 
Reply
 

Phil7
1 year ago

I'm afraid you're wrong, Maximo. Butane caused a huge explosion and injury in San Diego a few weeks ago. Please read this:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/jan/30/midway-hotel-fire/?print&page=all
".....The 21-year-old man who caused the blast told authorities he was with a woman in her 20s in a second-floor room, where he was performing a process using a butane spray can to extract oil from hashish, San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Maurice Luque said. While the man was doing that, he lit a cigarette, Luque said. The flame ignited the butane fumes, causing the explosion and fire.
The explosion knocked out two walls of the room where it occurred, and the far wall of one adjoining unit, Luque said. Shattered window glass landed in the hotel swimming pool and parking lot...... veteran firefighters said that “they had never seen devastation like that from an explosion.” Third-floor resident Joseph Tydingco, 52, said when the room below blew up, his own room “shook like a 6.7 earthquake.”

 
Reply
 

Phil7
1 year ago

In regards to my previous post and to be fair to Maximo, I do know a little about making hash oil. The guy in the story I linked to no doubt mixed the weed with ether(highly explosive). He should have used an electric stove and an evacuation chamber. To warm the mixture with a butane torch is suicide.

 
Reply
 
 
 
 
 
Get-it-delivered-240